April 21, 2023
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Diane G. Papadakos, Director of Communications
City of West Palm Beach – Mayor’s Office
561-822-1411 (TTY: 800-955-8771)
May is National Preservation Month – Nominate Historic Properties for the City of West Palm Beach Preservation Awards
WEST PALM BEACH, FL – The City of West Palm Beach encourages its residents to celebrate National Preservation Month this May by nominating historic properties for the 2023 City of West Palm Beach Historic Preservation Awards.
National Preservation Month provides an opportunity to recognize the importance of preserving and protecting our city’s historic places. Nominate historic properties in the City for recognition in the 2023 Historic Preservation Awards.
The City of West Palm Beach Preservation Awards recognizes properties that have made exceptional preservation efforts in our community. Nominations are now open and will close on Friday, May 12, 2023.
The categories for nominations are as follows:
- Rehabilitation – Acknowledges the proper rehabilitation of a structure according to the Secretary of Interior improvements that respect the historic integrity of the structure.
- Infill Design – Acknowledges appropriate infill within Historic Districts that essentially “fills in the gap” of a historic streetscape. Infill should be compatible in massing, size, scale, and architectural features with the district.
- Craftmanship/”Handyman” – Recognizes a traditional technique or method of construction that is considered artistic and rare in today’s practices. This may include intricate woodworking, hand-turned wrought-iron work, hand-carving, or architectural elements. The category is also suited to recognize the “handyman” who has appropriately repaired distinguishing features of a structure (i.e. wood windows, doors, etc.).
- Service – Recognizes an organization or individual who has clearly made an impact on the community through advocacy or service in historic preservation.
Minimum Criteria for Eligibility:
- Property must be within the boundaries of a designated Historic District listed on the West Palm Beach Register of Historic Places.
- Project must have been completed within the last 5 years.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact Friederike Mittner, City historic preservation planner by phone at (561) 822-1457 (TTY 800-955-8771) or email at [email protected]. For information about where to nominate, please visit our Historic Preservation page.
About the City of West Palm Beach:
The City of West Palm Beach is a vibrant and dynamic city located on the Atlantic coast of Florida. With a rich history, a thriving arts and cultural scene, and a commitment to sustainability, the City of West Palm Beach is a great place to live, work, and play. As one of the three largest cities making up the South Florida region, and the central city of Palm Beach County, West Palm Beach is a vibrant, growing, waterfront city that offers the business advantages available in the region, combined with a more refined and relaxed environment for living and working. To learn more about the City of West Palm Beach, visit us on our official website, or follow us on our social media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and/or Linked-in.
Originally published at https://www.wpb.org/Home/Components/News/News/3344/772