October 25, 2023
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Diane G. Papadakos, Director of Communications
City of West Palm Beach – Mayor’s Office
(561) 822-1411 (TTY: 800-955-8771)
City of West Palm Beach Advises Residents to Prepare for Potential Coastal Flooding
WEST PALM BEACH, FL – The City of West Palm Beach is issuing a proactive advisory to its residents, encouraging preparedness for the anticipated coastal flooding starting on Friday, Oct. 27 through Tuesday, Oct. 31. The combination of King Tides, which normally occur during a full moon, the Hunter’s Moon and remnants from Hurricane Tammy in the Atlantic Ocean could impact water levels. While we do not expect widespread flooding, there is potential for localized flooding, and we want residents to be aware, prepare and stay vigilant.
In light of these conditions, the City of West Palm Beach recommends the following precautions:
- Stay Informed: Keep an eye on local news, weather forecasts, and official city communications for the latest updates on weather conditions and potential flooding.
- Exercise Caution While Driving: While roads are not expected to flood, exercise caution while driving during heavy rain. Reduce speed and increase following distance to maintain control in slippery conditions.
In addition to the potential flooding, please be aware of the hazardous beach and marine conditions:
- Marine: Gusty winds will create hazardous boating conditions again, beginning Wednesday, Oct. 25, as winds and waves continue to hit advisory thresholds. Separate Small Craft Advisories are in effect currently with the Atlantic Advisory continuing until Thursday, Oct. 26, evening. An advisory for the Gulf waters could be possible late Wednesday, Oct. 25.
- Beaches: The onshore gusty winds will also cause impacts to coast areas and beaches. A Rip Current Statement and High Surf Advisory are both in effect until Thursday, Oct. 26, evening.
The City of West Palm Beach is actively monitoring the situation, and our emergency response teams are prepared to address any potential flooding or other emergencies that may arise. We urge residents to stay informed and exercise caution during this period of potential flood risk.
About the City of West Palm Beach:
The City of West Palm Beach is a vibrant and dynamic City located on the Atlantic coast of Florida. With a rich history, a thriving arts and cultural scene, and a commitment to sustainability, the City of West Palm Beach is a great place to live, work, and play. As one of the three largest cities making up the South Florida region, and the central City of Palm Beach County, West Palm Beach is a vibrant, growing, waterfront City that offers the business advantages available in the region, combined with a more refined and relaxed environment for living and working. To learn more about the City of West Palm Beach, visit us on our official website, or follow us on our social media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and/or Linked-in.
Originally published at https://www.wpb.org/Home/Components/News/News/3713/772
Images courtesy of https://pixabay.com