Mount Dora is such a captivating town that you realize as you enter the downtown area of Mount Dora that there is a colorful small town in central Florida that is ready to explore.
Figuring out what to do in Mount Dora Florida is not difficult when you are starting on a slight hill overlooking a lake with seaplanes hopping on and off Lake Dora. We found many things to add to our list of what to do in Mount Dora. Some of the best fun things to do in Mount Dora are below.
Shopping in Mount Dora Florida Number One on the List of What to do in Mount Dora Florida
The minute you navigate to the streets of downtown Mount Dora, you realize this is a special place. You can easily see why this small Florida town has a reputation for artisan shops, boutiques, and antique stores.
The main street along the majority of the shops is W. Old Highway 441 which becomes 5th Avenue downtown. The street is lined with storefronts of all types. Almost everything a person shopping in Florida could ask for is here.
Clearly, shopping is one of the top things to do in Mount Dora. Some of the best shops in downtown include:
Em’z on Fifth (200 W 5th Ave) is a women’s clothing store. Popular shop.
Walk In the Woods (116 W 5th Ave) is a gift shop full of outdoor clothing.
Renninger’s Vintage Antique Center & Farmer’s Flea Market: This popular attraction is home to over 700 vendors selling everything from antiques and collectibles to furniture and clothing.
Mount Dora Village Market: This open-air market features over 100 vendors selling a variety of handmade crafts, jewelry, and food. Generally a weekend event.
Mount Dora Center For the Arts: This art gallery features the work of local and regional artists.
Matamo Designs: This boutique sells unique designs of lighting and home furnishings.
Mount Dora Marketplace: This shopping center is home to a variety of stores, including a grocery store, a drugstore, and several restaurants.
Mount Dora Olive Oil Company: This specialty store sells a variety of olive oils, vinegar, and other gourmet food items.
Julianne’s Coastal Cottage: This home decor shop sells a variety of furniture, accessories, and gifts.
Under the Cherry Blossoms: This gift shop sells a variety of gifts, home decor, and jewelry.
Modernism Museum Shoppe: This museum shop sells a variety of art and books related to the Modernism movement.
FYI Creations: This gift shop sells a variety of gifts, home decor, and jewelry.
These are just a few of the many great shops in downtown Mount Dora and the surrounding area. It is fun to explore and find your own favorites!
The Tours of Mount Dora
Here are some of the tours you can take in Mount Dora and a list of the purveyors when deciding on what to do in Mount Dora Florida :
- Mount Dora Trolley: This trolley tour takes you around the historic downtown area, past some of the most popular attractions, such as the Lakeside Inn and the Mount Dora Center for the Arts.
- Rusty Anchor Boat Tours: These boat tours take you through the Dora Canal, which is lined with beautiful homes and lush vegetation. You’ll also be able to spot some wildlife, such as alligators, turtles, and birds.
- Premier Boat Tours: These boat tours offer a variety of options, including sunset cruises, private tours, and group tours. You’ll see all of the same sights as on the Rusty Anchor Boat Tours, but you’ll also have the chance to learn more about the history of Mount Dora and the Dora Canal.
- Mount Dora Transit: This company offers a variety of tours, including a historic downtown tour, a nature tour, and a ghost tour. The historic downtown tour takes you past some of the most popular attractions, such as the Donnelly House and the Lakeside Inn. The nature tour takes you through the Lakeside Inn’s botanical gardens and along the Dora Canal. The ghost tour takes you to some of the most haunted locations in Mount Dora.
- Walking Tours: There are
also several walking tours available in Mount Dora. These tours typically take you past some of the most popular attractions, such as the Lakeside Inn, the Donnelly House, and the Mount Dora Center for the Arts. You’ll also have the chance to learn more about the history of Mount Dora and its architecture.
- Bike Tours: Bike tours are a great way to see Mount Dora at your own pace. There are several companies that offer bike rentals, as well as guided bike tours. Bike tours typically take you past some of the most popular attractions, such as the Lakeside Inn, the Donnelly House, and the Mount Dora Center for the Arts. You’ll also have the chance to learn more about the history of Mount Dora and its surroundings.
- Kayaking Tours: Kayaking tours are a great way to get out on the water and explore the Dora Canal. There are several companies that offer kayaking tours, as well as kayak rentals. Kayaking tours typically take you past some of the most popular attractions, such as the Lakeside Inn. You’ll also have the chance to learn more about the history of Mount Dora and its wildlife.
- Fishing Charters: Fishing charters are a great way to catch some fish in the Dora Canal. There are a number of companies that offer fishing charters, as well as fishing equipment rentals. Fishing charters typically take you to some of the best fishing spots in the canal. You’ll also have the chance to learn more about the different types of fish that can be found in the canal.
- Eco Tours: Eco tours are the best way to learn about the Lake Dora ecosystem and see turtles, alligators, and birds of the area. This is one of our favorite things to do in Mount Dora.
This is not an exhaustive list, but it covers many of the things you may consider when wondering what to do in Mount Dora.
Places to Eat in Mount Dora Florida
You will find that there seems to be a restaurant or cafe’ every few steps in Mount Dora. In the downtown area most are locally owned places full of charm.
Some of our favorites are:
- Pisces Rising: If we were forced to choose only one place for lunch or dinner in Mount Dora, it would be Pisces Rising a couple blocks off the main shopping district of Mount Dora. This place has a unique menu, a great view of the lake on the patio and exceptional service.
- Cody’s On 4th: Cozy spot serving coffee & light fare for breakfast & lunch in warm digs with an outdoor patio.
- 1921 Mount Dora: Celeb chef’s Florida-inspired cuisine in a 1921 house with rotating art from the Modernism Museum.
- Peach Valley Café: On Route 441 north of downtown. Eclectic café.
- The Frog and Monkey Restaurant & Pub: This old-school pub in a cellar offers fish ‘n’ chips & other bar eats plus live music.
- Lake House Bar & Grill: Family-friendly place with TVs & wall memorabilia, offering American eats like pizza & wings.
- Cafe Gianni at 425 Alexander St, Mount Dora, FL 32757. Relaxed Italian restaurant serving classic meals in a warm, multilevel space with outdoor seating.
- One Flight Up: It is just a flight upstairs with a view of the main street and cafe-style dining for breakfast and lunch.
- Scoops: Ok eating is fine, but dessert is better! Ice cream is at the top of the menu, but this place is also a bakery. It is hard to walk by when shopping downtown.
We haven’t tried all the restaurants in Mount Dora, so feel free to let us know of the ones you recommend.
Where to Stay in Mount Dora Florida
Mount Dora, Florida, offers a variety of accommodation options, including charming bed and breakfasts, inns, and hotels. The best place to stay depends on your preferences, budget, and the type of experience you’re seeking.
Lakeside Inn: This historic hotel is located on the shores of Lake Dora and is known for its picturesque setting and Southern charm. If you don’t mind an aging, but really well maintained hotel, this is the place to stay. This inn offers a tranquil setting and proximity to downtown shops and restaurants.
Mount Dora Historic Inn: A bed and breakfast with charm, history and center of town location. Great choice.
Hampton Inn Mount Dora : A little north of downtown, but a traditional chain hotel providing standard amenities and services.
Grandview Bed and Breakfast: A charming bed and breakfast known for its cozy accommodations and personalized service. One of the best-rated about 2 blocks off downtown Mount Dora.
There are numerous other accommodations in Mount Dora. The ones above are the most popular that we know of.
Things To Do Near Mount Dora Florida
It’s hard to imagine running out of things to do in Mount Dora, but if you are staying in town for an extended period, here is a list of more things to do near Mount Dora:
- Visit the Eustis Historical Society Museum. This museum is home to a collection of artifacts
that tell the history of Eustis, Florida. Just minutes away from Mount Dora.
- Visit Palm Island Park is a dog-friendly 8-acre nature preserve with picnic
shelters and trails, plus a boardwalk and fishing pier.
- Another park near downtown, Sunset Park is a park with a playground, picnic
tables, and a boat ramp.
- Gilbert Park is a lakefront park with a playground,
picnic pavilions, and BBQs. It also has a shelter area, benches, and trails.
- Mount Dora History Museum is a local history museum exhibited in a small
1920s building that originally served as a firehouse and jail.
- Grantham Pointe (Light House) is a park with a lighthouse.
- Visit the Wekiwa Springs State Park. It is a beautiful park with a variety of activities to
offer, including swimming, canoeing, kayaking, and hiking.
- Visit the Discovery Gardens in nearby Taveras. The gardens are home to a variety of plants and flowers, and they offer a variety of educational programs.
You could go on with dozens more things to do near Mount Dora Florida with state parks, attractions near Orlando and even east coast beaches 90 minutes away. However, we believe the charm of Mount Dora will keep you nearby.
Where is Mount Dora Florida
Simply stated, directions to Mount Dora from Orlando is north on Route 441 about 33 miles. From Tampa to Mount Dora is about 96 miles. Take I-75 to Route 48 and head east. From Jacksonville, Mount Dora is 130 miles south using I-95. See the map of Mount Dora below.
The population of Mount Dora is a little over 17,000 people. Mount Dora is in the 32756 Zip Code. The county Mount Dora is in is Lake County, one of Florida’s scenic locations.
What To Do in Mount Dora Florida? Question Answered!
We think Mount Dora is one of the best small towns in Florida. If you are still wondering what to do in Mount Dora Florida, we aren’t sure where to send you!
This town is one of the visitor-centric, colorful, and best shopping towns in Florida. We encourage your comments and additions.
Originally published at https://floridatravel.blog/what-to-do-in-mount-dora-florida/