Known as the “Sport Fishing Capital of the World,” Islamorada in the Florida Keys is a paradise for anglers and outdoor enthusiasts. The island is also home to several state parks, preserves, and nature trails, making it a great destination for nature lovers and bird watchers.
A note about finding things in the Keys. From Key Largo to Key West, look for green mile marker signs alongside the road. They will be from about MM 70 to MM 90 for things around Islamorada, Florida.
Sport Fishing Capital of the World Offers Multiple Fishing Adventures
One of the top attractions in Islamorada is fishing. The island is home to several marinas and charter boat companies that offer deep-sea fishing, reef fishing, and backcountry fishing trips.
One of the most popular fishing experiences in Islamorada is offshore fishing. Visitors can charter a boat and head out to the open waters of the Atlantic to catch a variety of fish, including sailfish, marlin, tuna, mahi and wahoo.
The Gulf Stream, located just a short distance from the island, is home to some of the largest fish in the Atlantic Ocean. Offshore fishing charters typically include all necessary equipment and bait, as well as an experienced captain to guide you on your fishing adventure.
Another popular type of fishing in Islamorada is flats fishing. This type of fishing takes place in the shallow waters of the backcountry, where anglers can catch a variety of species such as mangrove snapper, bonefish, permit, and tarpon.
Flats fishing is considered by many to be the ultimate test of skill and patience, as the fish are often difficult to spot and can be quite elusive. Many species are found by sight in shallow clear water.
Another popular activity in Islamorada is snorkeling and diving. The island is home to several coral reefs and shipwrecks which are home to a variety of marine life, including colorful fish, sea turtles, and rays. Visitors can take a snorkeling or diving tour to see these amazing creatures up close.
Family Fun at Islamorada in the Florida Keys
For those who prefer to stay on land, Islamorada offers several state parks and preserves, such as the Islamorada Founders Park, which features a playground, a splash pad, and a skate park.
Visitors can also take a nature walk at the Long Key State Park, MM 67.5, where they can see a variety of bird species and other wildlife. Anne’s Beach, at MM 73 is also a must-see as it is a great spot for swimming, sunbathing, and picnicking.
Islamorada is also home to several museums, art galleries, and historical sites that offer a glimpse into the island’s rich history and culture.
Visitors can learn about the island’s Native American heritage at the Indian Key Historic State Park, where they can see the ruins of an old fishing village.
Family Resorts Islamorada and Family Attractions List at Islamorada in the Florida Keys
- One well-known family resort in Islamorada is the Cheeca Lodge & Spa, at MM 81. Plenty of things to do and a beach is included.
- Another resort to consider is the Post Card Inn, (formerly known as the Holiday Isles), waterfront on the Atlantic Ocean. This hotel/resort was remodeled after the hurricane in 2017.
- Perhaps the best attraction in Islamorada for a family is the Theater of the Sea at MM 84.2. Here you can learn about the creatures of the sea and watch animals that are trained to entertain. Kids love it and adults learn from it.
- One attraction is a must-see for kids of all ages. Robbie’s Marina is located at MM 77. You shop for souvenirs and feed 200-pound tarpon!
- The Island Dolphin Care Center is another must-see attraction, where visitors can learn about the center’s work with dolphins and have an opportunity to interact with these intelligent mammals. They are located at MM 100.
All in all, Islamorada is truly a paradise for visitors, offering something for everyone. From its world-class fishing and snorkeling to its beautiful state parks, rich history and culture, delicious food and outdoor activities.
For family fun, Islamorada in the Florida Keys is a destination that should not be missed. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing vacation or an action-packed adventure, Islamorada has it all.
Originally published at https://floridatravel.blog/islamorada-in-the-florida-keys-sport-fishing-capital-of-the-world/